Even betta enthusiasts need to take a vacation once in a while, and that means leaving your fishy friend on his lonesome for a week or more while you’re away.
So, how do you make sure that your betta buddy has enough to eat while you’re not around to care for him?
In this guide, we review six of the best vacation feeders that are available on the market today. We discuss how vacation feeders work and how to choose one. Also, we take a look at some other practical solutions for making sure that your betta gets all the nutrition he needs while you’re away.
Quick Summary: Best Betta Vacation Feeders
|Petrip Auto Vacation Feeder||Check Price|
|Eheim Auto Vacation Feeding Unit||Check Price|
|TOPBRY Digital Auto Vacation Feeder||Check Price|
|Zacro Rechargeable Timer Vacation Feeder||Check Price|
|UStyle Auto Vacation Feeder||Check Price|
|Torlam Auto Vacation Feeder||Check Price|
Our Top 6 Betta Vacation Feeders
Vacation feeders enable you to take time out to relax somewhere away from your usual routine without worrying that your precious betta and his tankmates won’t get enough to eat.
Here are our top six favorite vacation feeders. When you see the perfect vacation feeder for your betta, simply click on the handy in-text link that we’ve provided and place your order.
Petrip Auto Vacation Feeder
- 🐠【Smart design of fish food vacation feeder】: When you plan to travel for a few days without free time to feed your fish, this Petrip automatic fish feeder can help you a lot. You can set up to 4 feedings per day, feeding 1-3 times each time, so that you can travel without any anxiety. At the same time, you can also feed manually and experience the fun of feeding.（Note:Battery is not include)
- 🐠【Large Food Capacity & Moisture Prevents Design】:This digital fish feeder has 200ml capacity which is suitable for various fish foods such as flakes, Goldfish Granules,pellets, powders and strips, and suitable for different pet such as fish, turtle, frog.This fish feeder has a closed design which can prevent the fish feed from getting wet so that we can provide the premium feed to your fish.
- 🐠【Energy saving of auto fish feeder】: Our fish feeder uses a update smart chip that it can saves energy. Powered by 2*AAA battery, it can be used for 4-6 months on a single charge it will depends on the number of the feeding set. So this auto fish feeder can bring more convenient in our life.
The Petrip Automatic Vacation Feeder is a very high-quality vacation feeder. The feeder is quite large, making it perfect for you if you’re going to be away for a long time. The feeder takes quite a lot of food, so you won’t need to worry that your fish will be hungry.
The feeder’s mechanism is very quiet, meaning that your near neighbors won’t hear odd noises through the walls while you’re away. Most importantly, this feeder is very reliable and delivers the precise quantity of food that your fish need.
You can set the feeder to deliver multiple feeds throughout the day, depending on your needs. The product design prevents the build-up of moisture, keeping the fish food fresh, and removing the risk that the mechanism could jam.
The feeder can hold a variety of food types, including pellets, crumbles, and flakes.
What we like:
- Large size takes lots of food
- Suitable for different types of food
- Reliable and energy-efficient
Room for improvement
- Accommodates pebble-style foods better than flakes
You must remember to check the batteries periodically
Eheim Auto Vacation Feeding Unit
- Great for everyday use whether you are home or away
- Set it and let if feed your fish everyday
- Convienient worry-free feeding for healthy fish
The Eheim Vacation Feeder is the perfect choice for you if you don’t have a big budget, but you do want to buy a reliable feeder for your betta fish. The product is easy to set up and use and focusses on delivering accurate portion sizes, which is a very important consideration when feeding bettas.
Depending on the number of fish you’re feeding, one fill can last for up to six weeks. The hopper takes up to 100ml of food and is suitable for dry foodstuffs only. The hopper is transparent, making it easy to see how much food is left inside and whether it needs refilling or not.
Setting up the feeder is a breeze thanks to its universal installation clamp, and the product will fit a variety of aquariums.
What we like:
- Simple to set up and use
- Consistent feedings
Room for improvement:
- Unsuitable for multiple food types
- Not moisture resistant
TOPBRY Digital Auto Vacation Feeder
- 🐳【USB RECHARGING】- Built-in large-capacity lithium battery, according to different settings of feeding, the automatic fish feeder can be used for 3 - 6 months when it is fully charged by usb cable.
- 🐳【FOUR EXACT FEEDING TIME DESIGN】- You can set up to 4 exact feeding time every day and 1 - 3 rotation every time. According to your different demands, you can set up different exact time at vacation.
- 🐳【EASILY ADD FOOD AT THE TOP】- Adding the fish food at the top of the fish feeder, not to take down the food bucket, so you can increase or decrease easily the amount of dispensed food. Because of the 360°rotation of the pedestal of digital fish feeder, you can rotate it to the satisfying position after it is installed.
TOPBRY Digital Auto Vacation Feeder is an invaluable piece of kit for betta lovers who want the peace of mind that USB rechargeable batteries bring. Once the feeder is fully charged, it can be used for up to six months without requiring further charging.
The feeder can be set for four feeding times daily, dispensing single, double, or triple portions as required. Unlike some feeders that can be fiddly to operate, the TOPBRY feeder is loaded from the top.
The feeder can be set to rotate 360-degrees, enabling you to rotate the feeder to the correct position to deposit the food. The feeder accepts a variety of foods, including flakes, powder, and pellets, and holds up to 200ml of food.
If you have frogs or turtles, you can use this feeder for them too.
What we like:
- Can be set for four daily feeding times
- Easy to load with food
- Two different installation options
- Suitable for frogs, fish, and turtles
Room for improvement:
- The feeder can be tricky to set up
- Portion sizes dispensed can vary
Zacro Rechargeable Timer Vacation Feeder
- Two types power supply: charged by USB or batteries, no need to buy batteries repeatedly, which is energy saving and environmental protection.
- Long work time: Powered by a large-capacity lithium battery, it can be charged and discharged up to 800 times. According to the number of feedings set, it can be used for 3-6 months on a single charge.
- Large capacity: 200ml large-capacity feed bucket, suitable for a variety of fish feed such as granules, flakes and powders.
The Zacro Vacation Feeder can be operated by batteries or USB. That’s going to save you money on new batteries, and you won’t need to worry that your fish will be left hungry if the batteries run out while you’re away.
The feeder runs on lithium batteries, which can be recharged up to 800 times. Even better, depending on how often you use the feeder, one charge will last you for up to six months. The 200ml feed hopper takes plenty of fish food and accommodates flakes, powder, and granules.
The set-it-and-forget-it design accommodates up to four feeds per day, and the feeder can dispense small portions of food up to three times per feeding.
What we like:
- Two power supply options
- Up to six months’ lifespan on a single battery charge
- Large feed hopper
- Clever set-it-and-forget-it design
Room for improvement:
- Works best in a 158-gallon tank, not suitable for small aquariums
- Sometimes dispenses too much food
UStyle Auto Vacation Feeder
- ❤【IDEAL FRO MOST TYPES OF FISH FOOD,FISH TANK AND FISH】Our automatic feeder IS ideal for home fish tanks and aquariums.THE fish feeder can feed VARIOUS kinds of fish foods including flakes, pellets, powders and strips.Besides,The fish food dispenser Can feed most of pet fishes,tropical fishes,betta fishes, turtles, newts and frogs,cricket etc. ATTENTION: Please follow instructions to set up for rotation times per turn, otherwise the best fish feeder won't work!
- ❤【Minimizing food wastage & Maximizing growth and health of aquatic pets】Fish food feeders are modified to give a specific quantity of pellets, which minimize water quality and waste build-up issues due to food that was left uneaten.The fish tank feeder that enables you to entirely customize/program time and quantity of feeding of your aquarium fish helps in maximizing the health and growth of your aquatic pets.Aquarium feeder is a great option if you want to save yourself some money.
- ❤【STOP MOISTURE FROM SPOILING SAVED FISH FOOD】The aquarium fish feeder comes equipped with a moisture-resistant hopper that guarantees that only fresh food is supplied to your pet. Other highly regarded features of the unit are the integrated fan and ventilation that ensures that the food that is being fed is fresh and the adjustable slider that supplies the owners with the ability to set the portions in accordance with their pets’needs.
The UStyle Vacation Feeder can be used to feed frogs, newts, and turtles, as well as your precious betta fish. The feeder holds various food options, including powders, strips, flakes, and pellets.
The food dispenser is adjustable so that you can set it to serve the correct amount of food every time. That helps to improve water quality and reduce waste caused by uneaten food.
The handy LCD display feature enables you to program the unit to feed your fish at specific times of the day. The food hopper is transparent so that you can see when it’s time to refill it.
What we like:
- Suitable for several species
- Accommodates many food types
- Reduces food waste
- Prevents moisture from getting into food
Room for improvement:
- Digital set-up can be tricky to master
- Amounts of food dispensed is not always accurate
Torlam Auto Vacation Feeder
- USB Recharging: Built-in large-capacity lithium battery, according to different settings of feeding, the automatic fish feeder can be used for 3 - 6 months when it is fully charged by usb cable.
- Programmable: The torlam’s timer allows you to set up to four automatic feedings per day. You can program it to feed at any hour of the day or night and have it deliver either a single or double or triple feeding. At the same time, you can also feed manually and experience the fun of feeding.
- Two Different Fixed Methods: The feeder has 2 install methods for you to choose. One is to fix the feeder to the tank wall by using the holder. Another is to paste the feeder with double-side sticker on the tank cover.
The Torlam Auto Vacation Feeder features an AquaBlue timer that enables you to set up four feedings every day. You can program the feeder to deliver food at any time of the day, and it also serves double or triple feeds if required.
You can also use the feeder in manual mode when you are at home, and you want to feed your betta buddy yourself. The feeder can be fixed to the tank wall in the holder provided, or you can use double-sided tape if you prefer.
The hopper is moisture-resistant, so the food inside won’t get damp. So, you can use flakes, pellets, strips, powder, and crisps safe in the knowledge that the food won’t get soggy and go moldy.
What we like:
- The feeder can be programmed to deliver four feeds per day
- There are two installation methods, providing you with flexibility
- Moisture-resistant food hopper
- Generous hopper capacity
Room for improvement:
- The instructions that come with the feeder are somewhat confusing
- The quantity of food dispensed can be variable
What is a vacation fish feeder?
A vacation fish feeder is an automatic device that you can program to dispense food for your fish at specific times each day. Many feeders can accommodate several feeds throughout the day.
Automatic feeders are powered either by battery or electricity via a power cord and mains connection. Battery-operated feeders are the most popular, as they cannot fail due to power outages, although you do need to remember to check that the battery is fully charged.
Some fish feeders come with multiple containers that you fill with fish food. The auto feeder rotates the containers on a special timing setting and drops the food into the tank at the time you’ve pre-selected.
Choosing a vacation fish feeder
There are several considerations to bear in mind when choosing a vacation fish feeder:
What size feeder do you need?
Automatic fish feeders come in a range of sizes, so pick one that suits your tank size. If you have a small tank with your betta and a couple of tankmates, you don’t need a huge feeder that could cater to the needs of dozens of fish.
Bear in mind that a tiny food hopper is awkward to fill, and one that is too big will create an unwanted distraction from your fish if you have a small display tank.
Reliable timer and food dispenser
The best way to feed your betta is to offer two very small feeds each day, rather than dumping too much food into the tank, which could cause your fish to overeat.
So, you’ll need to choose a feeder that has a reliable, accurate timer and a food dispenser that delivers servings of the appropriate size.
Ventilated food hopper
If the food in the hopper is allowed to get damp, it will quickly become stale and moldy. So, lookout for a feeder that is equipped with a fan that creates good air circulation around the hopper.
Alternatively, make sure that the feeder is water-resistant and check the food regularly to ensure that it is still fresh.
It’s extremely important that you know when the battery on your vacation feeder requires replacement or recharging. A flat battery means that your betta won’t get the nutrition he needs while you are away.
Look for a feeder that has an easy-to-read LCD display, which tells you how much life is left in the battery.
What are the benefits of using a vacation fish feeder?
Investing in a vacation fish feeder comes with many benefits for you and your betta.
- Although a betta can survive for two weeks without receiving any food at all, most owners don’t like to think of their fishy friend’s tummy rumbling while they’re away enjoying a vacation. Also, some betta tankmates do require regular feeds to keep them healthy.
- Now, you could ask a friend or neighbor to feed your fish for you while you’re away. However, that job could easily be forgotten, especially if someone is busy. Automatic vacation feeders can be set to dispense food up to four times every day, and most have timers too, so there’s no danger of your betta buddy being forgotten.
- Automatic fish feeders enable you to control the portion size that your fish receives, whereas a well-meaning friend might overfeed your betta, potentially causing serious health problems for your fish.
- When you buy an automatic vacation feeder, you’re also buying peace of mind. You won’t need to worry about your fish going hungry while you’re away on vacation or on business.
Other feeding solutions for your betta while you’re on vacation
If you seldom go away, you may not want the expense of buying an automatic fish feeder. So, what other options do you have?
Don’t feed your betta
Did you know that a betta fish will be perfectly fine if you don’t feed him for up to two weeks? In any event, if you’re only away for a few days, you need not worry about your fish starving.
In the wild, bettas don’t necessarily get food every day. Also, a fast is good for your fish’s digestive system, helping to keep him in good health and guarding against constipation and bloat.
That said, you should not leave your fish without food for more than three days. After that length of time, your fish’s body will go into starvation mode, and that will be very stressful for him. Stress is a primary cause of sickness in betta fish, and stressing your betta should be avoided whenever possible.
Feeding blocks are a possible alternative to auto-feeders. You simply place the block in the tank, and it gradually dissolves over a couple of days, releasing food into the water.
That sounds great in theory, but there are a number of flaws with the idea. Firstly, the food doesn’t disperse evenly, potentially resulting in a load of uneaten food polluting your tank. Secondly, the food tends to accumulate at the bottom of the tank, and bettas are surface feeders.
A possible viable option for feeding your betta for a couple of days is to add feeder fish to the tank. Feeder fish are actually fish fry that your betta will gradually pick off and feed on while you’re away.
Feeder fish are best used in a large tank. In a tank that has a capacity of fewer than 10 gallons, the feeder fish may place much pressure on your filter system, leading to poor water quality and health problems for your betta.
You could try adding platies or Endler’s livebearers to the tank if it’s big enough. These species make suitable tankmates for a betta, and they are continually breeding, producing plenty of fries that your betta can feed on.
If you’re going on vacation, you’ll want to be sure that your betta is happy and well-fed while you’re away.
You could ask a friend or neighbor to feed your fish, or you may decide to simply fast your betta if you’re only away for a few days. However, most conscientious owners prefer to provide their fish with their usual regular feeds, and the best way to do that is by using a vacation feeder.
A vacation feeder allows you to choose how many feeds you want your fish to receive, at what times during the day your fish should be fed, and how much food you want him to have. Many auto-feeders allow you to use several different kinds of food too.
Choose one of the feeders we’ve recommended in this guide, and you can be confident that your betta will enjoy your vacation as much as you do!