For over 40 years, Marineland has been known as one of the top brands in aquariums and fish tanks. With their sleek, modern design and spacious interior, the Marineland Portrait 5 Gallon is a great choice for anyone looking to keep a small fish tank at home or in the office.
For this reason, I wanted to take some time and review the Marineland Portrait 5 Gallon, exploring its many features and capabilities.
In this guide, I’ve compiled every detail you need to know about this aquarium, from its construction and design features to its maintenance and performance.
Marineland Portrait Glass Aquarium Kit Overview
The Marineland aquarium is a 5-gallon fish tank that features curved glass with rounded corners. With this design, you’ll be able to see your fish from different angles and appreciate their beauty up close.
I love that this product is small and unobtrusive, hardly taking up any counter space at only 12×12 inches. At 17 inches tall, it can hold 6 gallons of water, making it perfect for families with kids who want a few extra fish than the 3-gallon tank allows.
Here are some types of fish that do well with others and might be a good fit for your tank:
- Ghost shrimp
- Cory catfish
- Freshwater angelfish
- Neon tetra
- Betta fish
What Does This Product Include?
- A Hidden Filter: The filter and heater have their own individual compartments. This is especially helpful because it’s a 3-stage filter, which gets rid of any dirt, chemicals, or bacteria in the water
- Marineland BioFoam: BioFoam is a material that helps with both biological and mechanical filtration
- Adjustable Flow Filter Pump: The filter pump will enable you to customize the water current in your tank to be as strong or weak as desired
- LED Light: The LED light has three settings to choose from: blue, white, or off
- The Tank
- A Base: This helps prevent your aquarium from damaging furniture
- A Glass Canopy: A glass canopy that you can easily slide down the back of the tank so you’re able to quickly feed your fish and dose their water
Marineland Portrait 5 Gallon Review
In fact, the selling point for me with Marineland aquariums is their tank, which is made from high-quality glass and features rounded edges for a sleek, modern design. You can even put it in virtually any room in your home or office without worry, as it is compact and only takes up a small amount of space.
Also, the unique round shape of the Marineland portrait aquarium makes it stand out from other options on the market. This design allows you to see your bettas’ natural beauty and bright colors more clearly, with less distortion than other aquariums.
Ultimately, the tank is constructed with glass rather than acrylic. However, it’s all a matter of preference, but I have always found that acrylic aquariums look less expensive. In contrast, this glass aquarium will enhance the ambiance of any room it’s placed in.
Unfortunately, the only downside to this aquarium is that once you add gravel or sand, your fish will have 4.5 gallons of water to swim in.
Another key feature of Marineland aquariums is their LED light. With 3 different settings (blue, white, and off), you can choose the perfect lighting for your fish, depending on the time of day. This replicates the natural lighting patterns, creating a comfortable environment for your fish to live in.
For example, you can use the white setting to feed your fish during the day and then switch over to blue for a more relaxing, nighttime ambiance.
Something I appreciate about these lights is that they’re not too close to the water. With some aquariums, when the lights are positioned too close to the water, it heats up the tank as well.
However, this won’t be an issue with Marineland aquariums, as the lights are set back a safe distance.
Nevertheless, your lights are only operable in the up or down positions. There is no way to bring them down halfway and leave them there unless you use something to prop them up. I think this would have been a nice touch, but it is not a make-or-break detail.
The Filtration System
With most fish tanks, the filtration system is visible and takes up space in the main tank. However, this tank has a compartment in the back for the filter and heater, meaning they’re both out of sight and won’t take up valuable space.
On a more technical note, the 3-stage filtration system includes mechanical, biological, and chemical stages. The filtration kit comes with a Rite-Size Z cartridge that provides chemical filtration, and BioFoam takes care of any chemicals and bacteria.
Most importantly, your fish will be able to tell the difference in the water quality. Also, you’ll find that your betta rarely gets sick when using this filtration system and with proper care.
Another great quality of this tank is that you can change the filter flow to best suit your needs. There are three filters with different settings, and they’re easy to switch out.
If you find the current from your filtration system is too strong for bettas, which usually prefer gentler currents, then you can put an ornament in front of the filter to slow it down. Or, if you’d rather invest in a new one, they’re relatively cheap.
The tank’s base is average and gets the job done sufficiently. If you opt to use this base, then you won’t have to stress over your furniture being ruined.
Also, the base is detachably easy to attach, so if you’re worried about bumping into your aquarium and making a mess, don’t be! It’s sturdy enough to withstand anything.
Even though it’s made from plastic, which I believe isn’t as good-looking or sturdy as other materials, it is still a decent product for the price. Therefore, don’t let that influence your choice too much.
I love that the glass canopy on this tank slides easily to the back – it makes cleaning and feeding a breeze. No more awkward moving of the cover or fiddling with stubborn latches!
Warranty & Customer Service
If you’re worried about your aquarium going wrong, then you’ll be pleased to know that it comes with a warranty. And not only that, but the customer service with Marineland is also fantastic.
Despite the bad reputation of customer service in most products, Marineland really does a great job at helping you out. You can call or email them with any problems or concerns, and they will take care of it right away.
Furthermore, when you buy from Amazon, you have the extra perk of being able to return a tank if it’s not up to your standards.
The Marineland Portrait Aquarium: A Review of the Pros and Cons
Although the pros of Marineland Portrait definitely outnumber the cons, it’s important that you know about both before making your final decision. Here’s what you need to know about this aquarium:
- With a portrait-shaped aquarium, you can get more creative with your ornament placement than with other types of tanks
- Not only is it easy to construct, but this fishbowl was made to last. With high-quality materials, you can finally rest assured that your fish will be safe and sound
- With its near-silent filter, you can finally relax and watch your betta without the constant background noise
- Filter cartridges are very common and can be easily found in most pet stores
- With just a click, you can change the LED light setting from invigorating and bright to soft and calming
- These LED lights are designed in a way that they can be flipped up. So you won’t have to go through the hassle of removing them when cleaning your tank
- A hidden compartment on the back lets you store your filter and heater. Thus, your betta has more space to swim and you can decorate it with ornaments
- While other aquarium kits make you buy a water heater separately, this one already includes it. However, if you’re looking to get this kit for a betta fish, then you’ll need to purchase the heater separately
- The filter flow might be a little too strong for your betta to swim in
- The compartment that houses your filter and heater can be difficult to clean by hand because it’s so small
Overall, the Marineland Portrait Aquarium is a great choice for anyone looking for an easy-to-use and reliable fishbowl. Whether you want to use it for bettas or other types of fish, this tank is sure to meet all of your needs.
Also, its high-quality materials are built to last, and its compact design allows you to get more creative with your decorations. So why wait? Invest in a Marineland Portrait today and enjoy all of its many benefits!
I hope this review has been helpful in your aquarium shopping process. If you still have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave me a comment and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.