Jump to content

Adding the Back Wall


Sherolyn-Basement Bettas

By now  the condo is taking shape. You have the front and both sides as well as the walls or partitions in place. The next piece to add is the back wall of the partitions.

I used 1/8″ thick plexi to build the condo. I wanted a space of 1/4″ under the back wall partition so I have stacked 2 pieces of plexi on top of each other to use as a spacer. I put these spacers every other cell to make it uniform across the back of the condo. Then I took the back wall piece, removed the plastic film that is not marked, and set it into place with the marked side to the back . You can see the walls lining up with the lines we made on the back piece. Again you want to tack enough places to hold the piece without having the glue run down the plexi. When it is secure enough you can flip the condo so this back piece is on the bottom and get a much better seal along both sides of the inside walls. Because of the lip created because the back of the condo is missing, I set the base off the edge of the outside bench I was working on. That allowed stability without creating any stress on the plexi.

After running glue along both sides of the inside walls and where it attaches to the sides, allow it to sit a while and set up. The overflow piece is next and I will tell how I did it, the problems, how they were fixed and what we will do the next time.

I want a 1/4″ space between the back wall and the over flow. So, I flipped the condo so the back was up and put spacers in place. It was difficult to keep it evenly spaced side to side as well as top to bottom.. but we managed. This piece will be glued to the bottom of the condo.. so I tacked it into place, removed the spacers and flipped the condo so I could get a good seal along the bottom. Once done I proceeded to add the back and after allowing time to set up overnight, did my first test fill with water. We had a few small leaks but the big issue was this overflow bowed out from the water. I also did not like adding water to the first cell and having it run out the back and in this channel into the next cells. So I decided to add some supports. We also had issues with surface tension and water kinda beading up along the top of the over flow so I added in some cutouts to the overflow to get the water flowing. More about this in adding the overflow.






©2012-2017 Betta Source All Rights Reserved. :D
Information, photos or charts may not be reproduced, distributed or copied without written consent.
Links monetized by VigLink - AquaRank MemberAquaRank.com