Beef heart recipes abound on the internet for those that want to create their own fish food. Many Discus breeders swear by it. So here are some recipes I have found to get you started or as a base to create your own special recipe.
This one come from Rocky Mountain Discus .
3 pounds beef heart - cleaned & defatted & trimmed
2 pounds raw shrimp - peeled
1 pound white fish
1 pound liver (we use beef) - trimmed & rinsed well and soaked in very hot water 3 minutes
2 pounds frozen plankton - thawed, or 6 ounces freeze dried - well rinsed
2 boxes frozen spinach- steamed lightly
1 box peas- steamed lightly
Note: It is best to obtain organic beef products that are raised free of bovine growth hormone (BGH) and antibiotics.
Run all ingredients through a food processor. When everything is processed mix well in a large bowl.
Add the following: They may be obtained at your local health food store.
6 raw egg yolks , 1/3 cup kelp powder (a seaweed) , 1/4 cup brewers yeast , 1/2 cup wheat germ and 1 tablespoons spirulina powder.
One tablespoon vitamin c powder. Mix thoroughly.
THE BINDER: At the health food store get some agar powder. Not the stringy stuff, not the pellets. Get the powder. The eggs and shrimp in the discus food recipe also help bind the food. Stir in 30 grams of agar agar. Mix well. To activate the agar binding we will heat gently in the oven. Set the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit (warm setting). Line cookie sheets with wax paper. This makes it go much easier later on. Smooth the food onto the wax paper lined cookie sheets around 1/2 inch thick. You will use several pans. Place the sheet in the oven for 20 minutes. Next cool the pans. Place them in the freezer. When frozen remove and cut into blocks. Store the blocks in high quality freezer bags. We've come this far- so why skimp now? The blocks can be precut into cubes if desired. Four ounce or eight ounce portions can be made with dewormer or desired medication if needed.
A Discus Dream.. no longer online any more.
2 lbs. of cleaned beef heart
1 1/2 lbs. of fresh cod, scrod, or peeled table shrimp.
4 egg yolks (no whites)
20 prenatal vitamins
1 cup of wheat germ
1- 2.75 ounce bottle of Tetra "Color Bits" (from your pet store)
1 cup of ground up freeze-dried krill or plankton (from your pet store)
1/4 teaspoon of spirulina powder (from your health food store)
2 packs of Knox Gelatin
Have flake food on hand if the mixture is the wrong consistency.
Clean all fat, veins, and sinew from the beef heart, and cube into one-inch squares. Puree beef heart and fish separately in a food processor. Mix the beef heart, fish and egg yolks together. In a blender, grind up all of the dry ingredients to powder and add to the beef heart, fish and egg yolks and mix together. In the blender, blend the gelatin with one cup of cold water on high speed until it thickens (about 3-5 minutes), and immediately mix into the beef heart mix. If the mixture is too runny, add flake food until it is a doughy consistency. If it is too dry, then add water. Freeze prepared beef heart mix flat in small zip-lock bags about a half-inch thick.
Recipes from Simply Discus
Paul Burney's Beefheart Recipe
- 5 pounds beefheart
- 2 pounds raw shrimp
- 1/2 pound of cod
- 2 tablespoons Paprika Powder
- 1 ounce of NatuRose
- A good multi-vitamin
- A good helping of garlic power
This I hand mix and pack into 1 gallon Ziplock bags and freeze
Richard D.'s Beefheart Recipe
- 1 beefheart
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen spinach
- 6 crushed and liquified multi-vitamins
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 handfuls fish flakes (any kind)
- 6 ounces Red AZOO pellets
- 1 ounce paprika
- Carefully remove all veins and fat from heart and chop in food processor until almost small enough (but not quite).
- Then mix in other ingredients and pulse the processor until it is mixed into a paste.
- Then put in quart Ziplock bags, flatten to about 1/4 inch and freeze.
- To feed, break into chunks, microwave for a few seconds till slightly thawed and drop into tank.
The flakes do a great job of holding the mixture together. Next time, I am going to add some spirulina powder and a banana.
Al Sabetta's Beefheart Recipe
- 3 cups ground beef heart/veal heart
- 1 cup ground raw shrimp w/ shell
- 2 cups HBH Meat Lover's flakes
- 1 cup HBH Discus and Angel flake
- 2 ounces Formula One Marine
- 4 crushed womens' one-a-day vitamins
- 6 calcium citrate + Vitamin D suppliments, crushed
- 4 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons ground garlic powder
- 1 /2 cup cooked spinach, pureed
- Cooked wheat germ in place of the cornmeal
- Baby food in place of the pureed spinach
- Carrot and banana are great additives
- Baby formula, 2 - 3 tablespoons (laugh, but check out the nutritional info in it)
- Brewer's yeast, 1 tablespoon
- 2 - 3 tablespoons spirulina powder or 1 /2 cup flakes
- 3 tablespoons plankton or krill
- 1/2 cup Tetra ColorBits or NutraFin Max Complete Marine Morsels
- Cod fish filet, 1/2 pound per pound of beef
- Fish oil, 1/2 teaspoon
- Decapsulated brine shrimp (http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com)
Mix and heat until hot (not boiling) and stir in 6 - 8 packets of Knox gelatin. Pour and let cool. Cut it up and freeze.